Black mold in shower is not exactly aesthetically pleasing nor a favorable health occurrence. Mold species such as Alternaria, Aureobasidium, Cladosporium, Memnoniella, Stachybotrys, Stemphydium, and Ulocladium can present as black mold because they produce black pigments. Cladosporium is the most common kind present in bathrooms or basements. While it does not produce mycotoxins like Stachybotrys and Memnoniella, it can become a source of nasal and sinus irritation and even induce chronic sinusitis and asthma.
Toxic or Non-toxic?
One concern people have when they want to remove black mold from the shower is how to distinguish between the non-toxic and toxic mold. Just remember that Stachybotrys and Memnoniella need cellulose to thrive. Cellulose is present in paper and wood. Therefore, if the bathroom does not have these materials, it is unlikely that the toxic molds are present. On the other hand, when black mold growth is observed on paper or wooden material, caution has to be practiced and professional toxic-mold removers should be hired
How to remove non-toxic black mold
There are different ways to go about non-toxic black mold removal. One way is to mix a half cup of vinegar, a half cup of sodium borate (borax) and two cups of water. These are combined in a spray bottle and sprayed on moldy areas including the wall and floor tiles, the bathtub or the shower, the sides of the toilet bowl and the shower curtains. The sprayed solution should sit for 5 minutes then scrubbed off with a cloth afterward.
If there is no sodium borate, baking soda can be used instead. A cup of vinegar, the same amount of baking soda and the same amount of warm water are mixed in a bowl to form a paste. This paste is applied to the moldy areas in the bathroom using a toothbrush. The toothbrush is also used to scrub the mold spots. The paste should be left there for 15 minutes or more. After rinsing, the discoloration caused by the mold should be minimal.
If one wants to clean the whole bathroom and remove the mold at the same time, a solution consisting of two liters of water, a liter of chlorine bleach and a tablespoon of laundry detergent powder can be mixed and put into a pail. One should take safety measures such as ensuring ventilation and wearing a gas mask, goggles, gloves and proper clothing because bleach is toxic. The solution is applied to the whole bathroom and left there for about 10 minutes. Since bleach is able to “decolorize”, the formerly pristine areas in the shower should be as good as new.
Prevention is still better than cure when it comes to black mold. These organisms prefer damp and dark areas. Therefore, one way to prevent their growth is to keep the bathroom well-ventilated and to wipe down moisture in the sink, the tub or the shower stall after use. If the budget is fine, a dehumidifier may be purchased to remove moisture and do away with any mold growth.
Return to the home page of MadProgress.com